Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Sangrada Familia

yesterday we went to Gaudi's Sangrada Familia. What a beautiful place. The story behind the church is pretty neat too. Anyway, it's still under construction, they hope to have it finished by it's 100th anniversary. Most of the pictures are of the outside as the inside is really under construction.

this is from the back of the church (this is Gaudi's work)

also the back of the church.

back too. when construction began, Gaudi started with the back of the church. so most of this intricate work is Gaudi's. The front is completely different.

again the back of the church.

this is from the inside looking toward the ceilings. again the detail is amazing.

this picture is of the front of the church. quite obviously a different sculptor

this one was from the back of the church as well, actually from across the street & I still didn't get the entire building in the frame.

lastly, this was a detail shot of the front. It's so interesting to me how different the two pieces are... yet on the same building.

Anyway~ It's a little after 5:00pm here. We hit the stores today and just walked around the city. Tonight we fly back to Madrid. Hopefully I'll post again maybe sometime on Friday. I'll be heading to Valencia on Friday (staying at a hotel, so there should be internet access.)

5 comments:

Kim Burns said...

Dude! I just typed a long comment on your previous post and lost it!!! Anyway, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the pics. I'll forgive you for eating at Hard Rock. A girls gotta have carbs! I wish I was there with you. :( Miss you! Kimmy Chang

Anonymous said...

oh my, everything looks so beautiful. soak it all in...you'll be home before you know it. enjoy the experience.

denise

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THE PICTURES!!!! I feel like I was there and it is just so beautiful. Take a deep breath for me -- miss ya, love ya, Gwen

Anonymous said...

w.o.w.

p

stuffie said...

KEWL!!!
Love all the detail, and you're right, absoutely amazing.